Star Facility Services has a long-term commitment to sustainability in every aspect of its operations. The company has rigorously pursued the highest sustainable process excellence and is proud to be Canadian industry leaders.
Star Facility Services is in process of getting CIMS (Cleaning Industry Management Standard) North American benchmark accreditation. It applies to management, operations, performance systems, and processes. Compliance with the Standard demonstrates that company is structured to deliver consistent, quality services designed to meet the customer’s needs and expectations.
Star Facility Services Green Building Services
- Green Cleaning policy and a Green/High performance cleaning program
- Effectiveness assessment
- Purchase of cleaning products, materials and equipment
- Chemical and pollutant source control
- Integrated pest management
- Building exterior and hardscape management plan
- Solid waste management (recycling)
- Resource conservation
CIMS-GB will also enable Star Facility Services to assist our clients in achieving points under the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance (LEED-EBOM) system, while greening their operations overall.
Star Facility Services leadership in sustainability offers an increased level of confidence for all our clients.
Green Cleaning is simply defined as “cleaning to protect health without harming the environment.” More broadly and practically speaking, it means using cleaning tools, chemicals, equipment, and other products that have a reduced negative impact on the environment, the user, and building occupants.
Sustainable cleaning is essentially about cleaning to maintain and improve health and well being in a way that is ever more resource-efficient and safe for people and for the environment, as well as being sustainable economically.
We should also be aware that green cleaning now involves more than just using products that are more protective of the environment. It also means using products that help promote sustainability. This can be from the way the product is made—using natural and renewable resources—to the way it is packaged—using recycled materials and larger containers to reduce the amount of paper and plastic necessary for packaging—as well as the fuel used for transportation.
While the goal of being sustainable involves using less paper, water, and fuel and few, if any, natural resources and materials, a better understanding is needed of the broader depth of the word.
We have a process to measure the amounts of energy, water, and resources we use to run our businesses. This provides an initial benchmark, and online “dashboard” computer systems can be used to collect and analyze this information.
Users enter information regarding how much electricity, fuel, water, and other resources are being used. The information allows the system to establish a benchmark and to track ongoing usage. Therefore, managers know exactly when, where, and how these resources are used in their businesses’ operations and the potential impact on the environment.
We reduce fuel usage by making adjustments in delivery and service routes. Servicing end customers in a specific area of a community on certain days can significantly reduce driving times and fuel needs.
These are the few steps we are taking to become more sustainable:
- We use green cleaning chemicals. These are made of renewable resources and are packaged in recycled and recyclable materials.
- We have developed fair and equitable employment practices. These practices, along with proper training, are the “people” component of sustainability. A benefit for Star Facility Services is that we can reduce turnover and absenteeism, resulting in a major cost savings.
- We process all product orders and requests using online services to reduce the need for paper.
- We update cleaning equipment. Newer equipment is usually more energy and water efficient than are older machines.
- We also employ more interim cleaning methods. This applies mostly to floor and carpet care; properly performed, interim cleaning methods can reduce frequency of floor refinishing/carpet restoration, which helps save energy, water, and chemical.
- We use low-flow equipment. Our extractors and floor machines are designed with more advanced low-flow technologies that use less water and chemical compared to older machines.
- Our cleaning equipment are highly efficient and properly maintained.
- We have incorporated reporting/ measuring system to analyze green and sustainable business operations.
Sustainable and effective cleaning processes can be a critical component to helping buildings function with greater operational and financial efficiency. By better understanding the value of green cleaning, operations and maintenance teams can leverage sustainability to improve overall health and cleaning efforts, reduce costs, extend buildings’ longevity, and, ultimately, have a positive impact on the bottom line.
At Star Facility Services, we believe that being sustainable just makes sense and is the right thing to do to protect our planet, our natural resources, and our children.